This past weekend's trip to Queenstown, Te Anau and Milford Sound was an exercise in scenery appreciation, to understate it. Everyone has always said that New Zealand was paradise on Earth, full of unspoiled nature (hel-lo Claritin!) and breathtaking scenery. Now I see why. To wit:
This is the view from the waterfront in Queenstown, where you can sit at a cafe and have ice cream or a steak sandwich and gaze upon the incredible turquoise lake and mountains framing the harbor.
Along the drive between Queenstown and Christchurch, there are lookout views across Lake Tekapo towards Mount Cook (snowcapped in the distance). The lake water was the most amazing color.
There's Mount Cook! Snow's on top despite it technically being summer.
We cruised Milford Sound on an overcast day, but that didn't stop the fiordlands from being spectacular. Here is Josh and some impressive ol' mountainy things.
More of Milford Sound. During our cruise, we also were joined by a group of bottlenose dolphins and fur seals.
Nearby to Queenstown is a scenic drive to Glenorchy, a small town. Lots of scenes from Lord of the Rings were filmed in this area (as well as basically all over the South Island of NZ). This is the closest I will get to cloning myself, I think.
Jay and I battled it out on a boulder overlooking this lake and those mountains. We like extreme sports sight-seeing.
This is the view from the waterfront in Queenstown, where you can sit at a cafe and have ice cream or a steak sandwich and gaze upon the incredible turquoise lake and mountains framing the harbor.
Along the drive between Queenstown and Christchurch, there are lookout views across Lake Tekapo towards Mount Cook (snowcapped in the distance). The lake water was the most amazing color.
We cruised Milford Sound on an overcast day, but that didn't stop the fiordlands from being spectacular. Here is Josh and some impressive ol' mountainy things.
Nearby to Queenstown is a scenic drive to Glenorchy, a small town. Lots of scenes from Lord of the Rings were filmed in this area (as well as basically all over the South Island of NZ). This is the closest I will get to cloning myself, I think.
Jay and I battled it out on a boulder overlooking this lake and those mountains. We like extreme sports sight-seeing. 

And of course the best scenic views are from 12,000 feet.
1 comment:
the picture of you with the mirror lake is possibly one of my favorite pictures ever. you look so happy and the scenery looks amazing. why wouldnt my school let me go with you?!
Post a Comment