Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Little Things Part I

Whenever I am abroad or out of town, it's not the obvious and large differences that really make an impact on me and drill home the fact that I am not in Kansas anymore (or NYC). It's those little everyday things that other towns, cultures, or countries do differently. Probably because it's those little things that actually make living somewhere just different enough to be exotic.

So this is the first part of my Little Things (anticipated) Series, covering those small differences that have made me cock my head to the side and think, "Huh. I'm in Australia!"

Today's segment is entitled "Picto-Signs!"

This is a sign posted at most crosswalks in Melbourne, elaborating on what the flashing light signs mean. Instead of the WALK/DON'T WALK or walking figure/red hand crosswalk signs in NYC, Melbourne has colorful robot-men. I enjoy the fact that the figure in the signs is reminiscent of Transformers, and has no neck.

Along with the different colors and flashing lights, some crosswalks are equipped with a clicking noise that changes speed according to whether you can walk or not. I think (along with differently sized bills according to cash denomination) this is to assist blind people.


This sign was near the Grampians National Park at a small (very small) town in a little clearing with picnic tables that sat alongside a strip of cafes and shops. It means "Please Do Not Feed the Kangaroos or Attempt to Teach Them to Do Tricks for Snacks." I especially enjoy the artist's attention to anatomical accuracy and nudism. The kangaroo's rapt attention to the biscuit the man is teasing him with is also amusing.

This sign is also from the Grampians, located at the beginning of a walking trail to a lookout point. It depicts all the terrible things that may happen to you if you don't watch out, and to hold small children by the hand, so that if you fail to heed the "unstable cliff edges" warning you will both go down together.
That brings us to the end of Part I. Stay tuned for more fun signs!


No comments: